Let’s see there’s fried shrimp…broiled shrimp…shrimp etoufee…Bubba Gump’s obsessive recital came to mind as I strolled down the water aisle at Natural Grocers. Let’s see there’s coconut water…almond water…alkaline water…Bubba would be proud!
This inspired me to look into the truth about all these variations of man’s oldest energy drink…H2O. My conclusion: almost anything water is better than the sugar infused mass market sugar fest.
Consider this as well: skin feeling drier than usual lately? Staying hydrated during the winter months is so important plus reduces the signs of aging!
Looking for an alternatives to plain water? You’ve heard the names…coconut, almond, cactus and now maybe even cashew water (addicted to these nuts!). These specialty waters provide antioxidants, electrolytes, minerals and vitamins as an alternative to sugary drinks.
Water is essential for existence as it makes up almost 70 percent of our body. You can survive more than a week without food but only a few days without water. Water delivers nutrients to cells, eliminates cellular waste, lubricates joints, protects the eyes and spinal cord and so much more. Daily hydration of 8 to 10 eight ounce glasses is important to keep the body functioning.
Choose your water wisely!
Here are a few of my favorite quenchers and the health benefits they offer!
- What is it: a clear liquid with a sweet nutty taste found in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts.
- Benefits: low-calorie, low-sugar and low-sodium plus high levels of electrolyte potassium, B vitamins and minerals of zinc, calcium and magnesium.
- What is it: a delicious drink made with purified water, cane sugar and natural extracts from almond, vanilla and rose.
- Benefits: low-calorie, refreshing and all natural water originally from France inspired by the founder’s grandmother.
- What is it: also called ionized water typically with a pH of 8.4 or higher along with trace several minerals including calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium.
- Benefits: contains antioxidants that remove acidic toxins, balances pH level’s, slows bone loss and aging and enhances the immune system.
Ran across an interesting specialty water I want to try because of it’s anti-inflammatory benefits: melon water. Found this site offering cold-pressed juiced watermelon.
What specialty waters have tried and liked? I’d love to hear from you!
Great resource: Buy the healthiest coconut water and avoid the worst from FoodBabe.com
Follow me on Pinterest for more healthy living tips!
Photo credit: Photodune
Cheers to a Healthy Life!