Glycemic Foods series first article – High Glycemic Foods to Avoid. Check back soon for my next post about low glycemic foods to enjoy!
A high glycemic diet, day after day, puts the body at risk for higher body fat levels. Basically high glycemic food raises the blood sugar causing the pancreas to keep pumping more insulin. Specific health problems include; weight gain, obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
[iconbox title=”TIP” icon=”Bended_Arrow_Up.png”]For every additional 100 grams of sugar per 2,000 daily calories, there’s a 45 percent higher risk of type 2 diabetes.[/iconbox]
- High Glycemic Common Foods to Avoid
- Breads – white breads, white flour products, corn bread
- Cereal – ALL except low glycemic cereal; bran, oatmeal, Special K
- Fruit – bananas, melons, pineapple, raisins
- Grains – white rice, millet, corn products
- Pasta – thick, large pasta shapes
- Snacks – popcorn, potato chips, corn chips, rice cakes, pretzels
- Vegetables – potatoes, corn, carrots, beets
- Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Food List [Read more…]