Do you feel run down and tired continually? You may need to build up your immune system to protect your body from colds, flu and other diseases. The immune system is the body’s defense device to fight off the illness and infection invaders. When your body is not in peak condition, your immune system can fail to function as well as it should.
8 Ways to Build Up Your Immune System
- Drink plenty of water. Your body depends on water for good health. Try to follow the “8 by 8 rule”. Drink at least 8 – 8-ounce glasses of water each day. Ideally, you want to consume half your body weight in ounces.
- Get plenty of vitamin C. This vitamin is essential for supporting growth and development and helps with the absorption of iron for healthy blood.
- Eliminate toxins around you. Environmental toxins are all around us from the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. Antioxidants especially vitamins C and E can reduce the effects of toxins in your body.
- Get 7-8 hours sleep each night. Refreshing sleep is critical for a healthy immune system, metabolism, memory, learning and vital functions.
- Think zinc! This mineral plays a vital role in immune system health and in fighting off illness.
- Exercise regularly. Being physically active helps manage your weight, prevent disease, strengthen muscles and improves your mood.
- Stress less. Keeping stress levels in check benefits the immune system by protecting the body from excess fatigue that leads to illness. Find natural ways to relax and rejuvenate each day.
- Eat a whole food diet every day. Consume a variety of healthy whole foods full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. You will feel your best, have more energy and be better able to fight colds, flu and other diseases.
List of resources, all worth checking out.
- How to Boost Your Immune System from Health.Harvard.edu/flu-resource-center
- Slideshow: Tips to Strengthen Your Immune System from WebMD.com
- Poor Sleep Affects Immune System Much Like Physical Stress from Health.com
Share your story or ask questions below! If you enjoyed this post, please share it with others on your favorite social sites. Thanks!
Cheers to a Healthy Day!
Lou Ann Donovan